Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backup Availability

This is kind of a bump for a useful script but I have a question as well.

How can I create a full backup from SSH with reseller priveleges? If I want to run it from a cron job, is it just the same?

Cron job question:
    I want a cron job to create a backup, then move it to a specific location, and change permissions. Would it be easier to create a script that can do this and call that from the cron job? Is that what is known as a shell script or can I just call a set of commands from a text file?

The bolded part is what I need it to do, without root priveleges.

A backup for another user's account? You can't do that automatically.

No, a backup for the account you login with (the one with SSH priveleges)

For example:
    Domain - xyz.com
    Username - xyz

xyz logs in through SSH and wants to make a backup of the xyz account (its self), how can this be done?

Offhand the only way I know to generate a truly full account backup is through the cPanel GUI (which would include mail, databases, stats, logs, etc.).

The issue with just doing an rsync of the home directory (/home/username/) is that databases, logs and some mail configuration isn't stored in /home/username but on other spots of the file system that you can't access when logged in via ssh as that user (root or application only access).

I'll poke around and post if I find anything though.

Hmm... is there any way to have a cron job from root that could execute a set of commands everyday then?

If so, where can I create one? WHM doesn't list root cron jobs anywhere as far as I can tell.

Bump - any ideas? I just simply need to run a specific backup at a certain time everyday, how can I do this?

rsync the backups from /backup/cpbackup/daily/ then change the permissions.

I've poked around a bit and it doesn't look like there's a way to do individual WHM/cPanel account backups (i.e. getting a file you could restore via WHM).

I'd concur with DH's idea -- pulling the current nightly generated backup from the standard WHM backup location.

Minor addition -- I just found this.

http://forums.burst.net/archive/index.php/t-518.html