Thread: Metatags

Exclamation Metatags

Its a good idea to use metatags, especially if you submit your sites to a search engine:

This tag specifies default language and is used by search engines:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" CONTENT="EN">

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

This tag serves to give credit.

<META NAME="Author" CONTENT="Jeff [email protected]">

This tag tells the search engine bots to revisit after 30 days. If the content on the page changes frequently you want to increase this number. If the content never changes set this to a very large value.

<meta name="revisit-after" content="30 days">

Helps keep your ratings legit for the kids.
    <meta name="rating" content="Safe For Kids">

<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="ecommerce, cool stuff">
    ... So when someone searches for "cool stuff" your site will have a greater chance of coming up. This tag helps search engines categorize your site.

Copyright.

<META NAME="copyright" CONTENT="(c) 2002 idologic ">

This tag tells webbots to follow links. The other option is nofollow, noindex, or you can do combinations - follow, noindex.

<META NAME="robots" CONTENT="FOLLOW,INDEX">

Cheers
    Jeff

Re: Metatags

Great suggestions Jeff!
    Originally posted by jeff
    Its a good idea to use metatags, especially if you submit your sites to a search engine:
    My suggestion here is that you do not use any scripts that auto submit to search engines. Lots of spam is generated from them and a whole lot of usless search engines are submitted to. I didn't it once and have never done it since.

We could have a topic just for search engines but there are already some good forums out there devoted to the subject. (sorry don't have a URL in front of me)

But there are only about eight search engines that are really used, (google does over 55% of all searches on the net) hand submit to those and the few specialty engines that cater to a site like yours.

The two things I think that makes a search engine like Google like your site is, make your content availabe (see below) and your pages are validated HTML for what ever version your saying you use.
    <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="ecommerce, cool stuff">
    content available
    I read and put into practice over a year ago, keep Keywords to about 20, all lower case, no repeats, just root words, no plurals or other version of the same word and words are seperated by space not a comma.

Really pick these twenty words carefully, make sure that the most important of these Keywords are in the title of the page, Meta Description and in the first paragraph of the body of the page.

<meta NAME="DESCRIPTION" Content="just ONE key sentince related to that page">

Then make every page on your site have their own Title, MetaKeywords and MetaDiscription. It's worth the effort

And You be the judge on this one, But I use it.
    <META NAME="MSsmarttagsPreventParsing" CONTENT="TRUE" />
    recent off site discussion

I can show you many examples of the above working, but here's one. Searching Google for "Turkey Fajitas" (as much as this group loves to taste beer it's got to love to eat! ) and of the 17,000 pages found a "Kansas City infoZine" screen is listed I think 6th on the first page, notice that when google listed it the last time it had 34 hits, go to the page and it's over 80.

Ok, here's one more, back to google search, "kansas city theatre", out of over 308,000 pages found, "infoZine' has two listed on the first page of findings.

I'll get off my horse now...

But two others I like to use to keep the search engines coming back
    <meta http-equiv="expires" content="Fri, 31 Dec 1999 23:59:59 GMT">
    and
    <meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">

I guess that's why it's important to me to keep the leeches away using the .htaccess file I do..

But I'd love to hear, what tags work for you.

Peace
    Richard Greene
    www.KCServers.com

This is a great post. We have to make this one sticky.

I'd also like to figure out why the tag:
    <META NAME="MSsmarttagsPreventParsing" CONTENT="TRUE" />

works so well.

Cheers
    Jeff